- 3 cups (720 ml) all-purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup (240 ml) of lard
- 1 egg
- 5 tbsp (75 ml) ice water
- ¼ cup (60 ml) of butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups (480 ml) zucchini, diced
- 1 1/3 cups (320 ml) Parmesan, grated
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup (240 ml) heavy cream
- 1 leek, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- pinch of nutmeg
- In a food processor, sift flour and salt.
- Add lard, and blend until it has the texture of breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg and cold water, and keep pulsing.
- Add flour and blend until the consistency is smooth and stiff.
- Take dough out of food processor and form it into a disc.
- Wrap the dough and place in refrigerator for 20-25 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Melt butter in large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and leek, cook for 3-4 minutes or until soft.
- Add zucchini, and cook for 5-6 minutes until they start to brown.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs and cream in a bowl.
- Add cream and egg mixture to pan, and remove from heat.
- Stir constantly so the eggs don’t cook. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, roll dough out on a floured work table using a rolling pin.
- Once dough is flat and ¼ inch thick, place over a baking dish or skillet and cut off edges.
- Pour the filling into the pie crust.
- Place tart in the oven and cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 300F (150C), and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Slice into 6 portions and serve warm.
- This dish can also be served cold.