There are still plenty of zucchini still available this time of year, and this hearty faux “meatball” recipe is a great meal for Meatless Monday, or any other day of the week!
- 1 tbsp neutral cooking oil
- 4 zucchini, shredded
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 tsp paprika
- 1 egg
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1⁄8 cup flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 cup tomato passata (strained tomato)
- 1⁄2 tsp dried oregano
- 1⁄2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup basil, chopped (for serving)
- Heat oven to 375F.
- Heat oil in skillet, then add zucchini, green onion and garlic.
- Season with salt, pepper and paprika. Cook until water begins to evaporate, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a colander, and place in the sink to drain further.
- In a large bowl, combine zucchini, parsley, parmesan cheese, bread crumbs and egg. Shape into even-sized balls, and place on a foil-lined pan. Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown. Let rest for a few minutes while making the sauce.
- In a small pot, heat up tomato passata with brown sugar and dried oregano. Add zucchini balls to sauce and serve with chopped fresh basil.