- 4 rib eye steaks about 1-inch (2.5-cm) thick
- 1/3 cup (83 ml) bourbon whiskey
- 1 ½ cups (250 ml) frozen raspberries or 2 cups (500 ml) fresh berries in season
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) white sugar or more to taste
- 2 tsp (5 ml) dry mustard powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) smoked paprika
- 2 tsp (5 ml) garlic powder
- 2 tsp (10 ml) freshly cracked pepper
- 2 tsp (10 ml) red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp (10 ml) kosher salt
- For the sauce combine the bourbon whiskey, raspberries and sugar in a medium sauce pan. Place the pan over medium heat and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes. Taste, adjust if necessary with sugar to balance the acidity and tartness of the raspberries. Remove the sauce from heat and strain the mixture. Allow to cool.
- To make the rub mix mustard powder, paprika, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Pour half of the whiskey raspberry sauce into the dry spices and mix.
- Rub the mixture all over steaks, slightly pressing the meat and making little micro tears in the flesh.
- Place the steaks in a large re-sealable bag add about one third of the sauce to the baggie and smoosh about ensuring the meat is evenly coated. Refrigerate for 2-4 hours.
- Before cooking allow the steak to come to room temperature.
- Place a large cast iron frying pan over high heat. Add the oil to the pan to heat until oil is shimmering.
- Place steak in pan and cook until medium rare or until desired doneness.
- Remove meat and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Serve with the reserved raspberry sauce.