Ease of preparation
- 1 x 3 pound (1.4 kg) whole chicken
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) mashed garlic
- ½ cup (120 ml) oil
- ½ tablespoon (7.5 ml) turmeric
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon (1 ml) ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon (1 ml) dried oregano
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) oil
- 1 pound (454 g) ground beef
- 2 cups (480 ml) rice
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) salt
- ¾ teaspoon (4 ml) ground cardamom
- ½ tablespoon (7.5 ml) ground nutmeg
- ½ tablespoon (7.5 ml) ground black pepper
- 4 cups (960 ml) water
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) butter
- Pine nuts, toasted
- ¾ cup (180 ml) shredded mixed greens
- ¾ cups (180 ml) shredded purple cabbage
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) kosher salt
- ¼ cup (60 ml) lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) black cumin seeds
- ¼ cup (60 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
For the chicken
- Pat chicken dry. Season chicken with half the salt.
- In a bowl, whisk together garlic, oil, turmeric, black pepper, cardamom, oregano and the remainder of the salt. Cover chicken with marinade and let sit in fridge from 2 hours to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 F (175 c).
- Place chicken on a roasting sheet, then put in oven and cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the chicken’s internal temperature reaches 180 F (80 c). Take it out of the oven and let it rest for 15 minutes.
For the dirty rice
- Rinse rice thoroughly under cold water.
- Add oil and beef to a saucepan over medium-high and fry until cooked through. Add the salt, cardamom, nutmeg, and pepper to the beef and mix together. Add water and butter to saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add rice to the saucepan, then, mixing continuously, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and let cook for 10-15 minutes. Add as many toasted pine nuts as you wish, and mix in.
For the Lebanese slaw
- Add mixed greens and purple cabbage to a bowl and mix together.
- In a small bowl, whisk together salt, lemon juice, black cumin seeds, and olive oil. Pour over greens and cabbage and toss to coat.
Serve chicken with rice and slaw.