Ease of preparation
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) vegetable oil
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- 1 Yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) Turmeric
- Salt and Pepper
- 475 g (17 ounces) Ricotta
- 6 Readymade pasta sheets
- 1 Egg, for egg wash
Sumac brown butter sauce
- 1 cup (240 ml) butter
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) Sumac
- Tabbouleh, to garnish
- Parmesan, to garnish
- Heat oil in a pan over medium high. Add chicken. Cook for 6-7 minutes, flipping occasionally, until browned on both sides.
- Add onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add turmeric, salt, and pepper and stir in. Take pan off heat. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to food processor. Blitz for 1 minute. Add ricotta and blitz for 1 more minute. Set aside.
- Lay out 1 pasta sheet. Using a round cookie cutter, cut out rounds from sheet. Remove excess dough.
- Dollop chicken-ricotta filling in the centre of one round. Fold one side over to meet the other and make a half-moon shape. Press sides together to close securely. Press filling in gently so it’s all gathered in the centre. Bring the two farthest corners around to meet to make a tortellini shape. Pinch the corners together to secure. Repeat until all filling has been used.
- Brush tortellini with egg wash.
- Bring salted water to a boil. Add tortellini and cook until they rise to the surface, about 2-3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon. Transfer to serving plates.
- To make brown butter sauce, add butter to a skillet and heat over medium heat until it starts to bubble. Cook 5-6 minutes until butter starts turning a caramel color. Remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper, add sumac, and stir in. Let sit 1-2 minutes to cool. Drizzle over tortellini.
- Garnish with tabbouleh and freshly grated Parmesan.