- ½ cup (120 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 lb (450 g) live black mussels.
- 1 lb (450 g) calamari rings
- 1 lb (450 g) halibut, skinless and cut into 4 pieces
- 1 lb (450 g) salmon, skinless and cut into 4 pieces
- 4 basil leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup (60 ml) white wine
- 1 cup (240 ml) canned crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups (1 L) fish stock
- 1 lb (450 g) of large shrimp (size 16-20)
- 1 ½ cups (360 ml) uncooked couscous
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 lemons, cut into wedges
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic, and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add halibut and salmon, and cook for 3 minutes or until one side is golden brown.
- Flip fish, add shrimp, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, wine, tomatoes and cayenne pepper, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of fish stock, mussels and calamari, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook covered for 8 minutes.
- Once cooked, add parsley and mix.
- At that point, you will want to check that the fish is cooked and flaky.
- In a separate pot, heat 2nd half of fish stock over high heat and bring to a simmer.
- Pour the fish stock over the dry couscous in a flat dish and cover.
- Let sit for 8-10 minutes, fluffing the couscous every 2 minutes.
- Serve the fish stew over the couscous, garnished with lemon wedges and basil.