- 1 package abura age (deep-fried tofu)
- 1 cup (240 ml) dashi stock
- ¼ cup (60 ml) sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) soy sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) mirin
- 1 cup (240 ml) raw sushi rice
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) black and white sesame seeds, toasted
- Place each piece of abura age between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and roll over with a rolling pin.
- Remove plastic wrap and cut abura age in half.
- Bring large pot of water to a boil over high heat.
- Add the abura age to boiling water, and boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain abura age and gently rinse under cold water. With both hands, squeeze out any excess water.
- In a large shallow pan, combine dashi, sugar, soy sauce, and mirin, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer, and add abura age.
- Cook approximately 12 minutes, or until the liquid has mostly evaporated and been absorbed by the abura age.
- Remove from heat and cool on a paper towel to remove excess liquid. Set aside.
- Once again, using both hands, squeeze out the excess liquid.
- Cook sushi rice according to package instructions, and cool down completely.
- Mix cooked rice and sesame seeds.
- Gently open the end of the sweet tofu pocket, and stuff with equal amounts of rice.
- Repeat with all tofu pockets.
- Serve cold or room temperature.