6 to 8
Ease of preparation
- 1 ½ cups (360 ml) strong espresso
- 4 eggs, whites and yolks separated
- 1 cup (240 ml) sugar
- 2 cup (480 ml) mascarpone cheese
- 28-32 lady fingers
- Cocoa powder, for dusting
- 2.5 ounces (72 g) dark chocolate shavings, for garnish
- Prepare the espresso and let it cool in a shallow bowl.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add sugar slowly to egg yolks, whisking until sugar has completely dissolved. Add mascarpone cheese to yolk mixture and whip together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold whipped egg whites into mascarpone mixture.
- Dip lady fingers in espresso, coating both sides, then layer them in the bottom of an 8 x 10-inch (20 x 25 cm) serving dish. Cover the lady fingers with half of the mascarpone mixture. Repeat with another layer of espresso-soaked lady fingers, then another layer of mascarpone mixture. Cover the dish and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Dust the top of the tiramisu with cocoa powder and decorate with chocolate shavings. Serve cold.