- 2 lbs (900 g) eggplant, cut in large chunks
- ½ cup (120 ml) olive oil
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 ripe tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sugar
- ½ cup (120 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) pine nuts, toasted
- ½ cup (120 ml) pitted green olives
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) capers
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh basil leaves, to garnish
- Heat half the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the eggplant and cook, flipping occasionally, for 6-8 minutes, or until golden brown on all sides.
- Remove the eggplant from the pan.
- In the same pan, heat the remaining olive oil over medium-low heat.
- Add celery, onion, garlic and tomatoes and cook for 12-15 minutes, until it resembles a thick sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add sugar, vinegar, olives and capers and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the eggplant and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Serve the caponata hot, and garnish with pine nuts and basil leaves.