16 to 20
Ease of preparation
- 1 packet (2 ¼ teaspoons/11 ml) instant yeast
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) of anise-flavoured liqueur
- 4 eggs
- 6 tablespoons (90 ml) sugar, divided
- 4 tablespoons (60 ml) olive oil
- Zest of 1 orange
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 cups (480 ml) all-purpose flour
- Sunflower oil, for frying
- Juice of half a lemon, for garnish
- Honey, for drizzling
- Add yeast to liqueur with 2 tablespoons (30 ml) sugar and stir to dissolve.
- Beat eggs and remaining sugar together in a large bowl. Stir in olive oil, orange zest, lemon zest, and liqueur. Gradually add dry ingredients and yeast mixture to egg mixture, stirring, until batter is smooth.
- Line a large plate with a paper towel. Pour sunflower oil into a saucepan until it is 1 ½-2 inches (3-5 cm) high. When oil has reached 350 F (175 C), drop a tablespoon (15 ml) of batter into the oil. Continue until all the batter is gone, working in batches. When the fritters are golden brown (approximately 3-5 minutes), remove from oil with a slotted spoon and place on paper towel-lined plate.
- When you have fried all the dough, arrange fritters on a platter and drizzle with honey and lemon.