Ease of preparation
- Juice from ½ a lemon
- 4 artichokes
- 1 cup (240 ml) breadcrumbs
- ½ cup (120 ml) grated pecorino cheese
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) shredded prosciutto
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ (1 ml) teaspoon salt
- ½ (2.5 ml) teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 eggs
- 6 tablespoons (90 ml) olive oil, divided + more for drizzling
- 1 cup (240 ml) dry white wine
- Fill a bowl with water and squeeze in lemon juice. Prepare the artichokes by cleaning them and discarding the tough outer leaves. Cut off stems and 1-inch (2.5 cm) off the top of each artichoke. Spread the leaves aside to get to the centre, then scrape out the fluffy inside using a teaspoon. Place the artichokes in the bowl of lemon water.
- Mix together the breadcrumbs, pecorino, and prosciutto in a bowl. Add garlic, salt, pepper, and chopped parsley, then stir together. Beat eggs in a separate bowl, then add to breadcrumb mixture and stir well. Mix in 3 tablespoons (45 ml) of olive oil.
- Remove the artichokes from the water and dry them off. Add 3 tablespoons (45 ml) of olive oil to a skillet. Place artichokes upright in the skillet. Fill each artichoke with the breadcrumb mixture, including the spaces between leaves. Turn the heat up to medium and cook artichokes in skillet for a few minutes. Pour the white wine over top. Drizzle with olive oil. Cover skillet with a lid and let cook 20 minutes.
- Put in the oven at 400 F (205 C) for 4-5 minutes to finish.