1 x 4 (8-inch) layered cake
- ½ cup (120 ml) strawberries
- ½ tbsp (7.5 ml) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) lemon juice
- 1 ¼ cup (300 ml) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 ½ cups (600 ml) sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract
- 4 cups (1 L) cake flour
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) salt
- 1 ¼ cup (300 ml) milk
- strawberry preserves (see above)
- 10 drops (10 ml) red food colouring
- 1 cup (240 ml) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups (1 L) icing sugar
- 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla
- To make the strawberry preserves, add strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice to a saucepan and simmer.
- Stir to break up fruit.
- Cook until mixture is reduced. It should be thick and syrupy.
- Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- To make the cake, cream together butter and sugar in a bowl.
- Add the eggs, egg yolks, and vanilla and beat in.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour with the baking powder and salt.
- Gradually mix the flour mixture into the butter mixture.
- Gradually mix in the milk.
- Divide batter in half.
- Into one half of the batter, fold in the strawberry preserves and 10 drops (10 ml) of red food colouring.
- Pour plain batter into 2 greased 8-inch (20 cm) cake pans.
- Pour strawberry batter into the remaining 2 greased 8-inch (20 cm) cake pans.
- Cook for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Let cool, then remove from cake pans. Note: put cake pans in the refrigerator to speed up cooling.
- To make the icing, cream together butter and sugar.
- Add vanilla and incorporate.
- To assemble, level cakes.
- Use 6-inch (15 cm), 4-inch (10 cm), and 2-inch (5 cm) circular cookie cutters to cut concentric circles out of the cakes.
- Spread a thin layer of buttercream on the inside ring of all circles.
- Assemble cake layers by alternating colours.
- Spread buttercream on one complete layer.
- Carefully place a different alternating coloured layer on top and spread with buttercream.
- Repeat until all layers are used up.
- Spread remaining buttercream over entire cake.
- Decorate as desired.