- 1 small eggplant, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small leek
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 tsp (5 ml) whole black peppercorn
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) olive oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 2 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 ml) fresh chopped oregano
- 1/2 tsp (3 ml) cumin
- 1 tsp (5 ml) paprika
- 2 eggs
- 4 oz. (110 g) of Iberico ham, shaved
- salt and pepper
- To tenderize the eggplant, place chopped eggplant into a colander and season generously with salt.
- Let rest for 15 minutes.
- Rinse the eggplant and reserve.
- Remove the outer two layers of the leek and slice them to 10 cm in length.
- To make a bouquet garni, press the thyme, rosemary, peppercorns, and bay leaf into the centre of one leek and fold the leek closed around it.
- Wrap the second layer of leek around the first and tie them together using butcher twine. and reserve the bouquet garni for later use.
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add red onions, garlic, red peppers and green peppers and cook, while stirring, for 3-4 minutes, until peppers soften.
- Stir in the reserved eggplant and zucchini, and continue cooking for 4-5 minutes.
- Using a cheese grater, grate the tomatoes into the pan.
- Stir in the oregano, cumin, paprika and reserved bouquet garni.
- Continue cooking for 5-6 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Using the back of a spoon, create two wells in the vegetables.
- Gently crack one egg into each well and continue cooking for 4-5 minutes, until egg whites are solid but yolks are still runny.
- Remove the bouquet garni from the pisto and serve warm, garnished with Iberico ham.