- 1 tbsp (15 ml) oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp(15 ml) soy sauce
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) salt
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) pepper
- 1 lb (454 g) beef rump steak, cut into 1 ½-inch cubes
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) fish sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) palm sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) minced ginger
- 1 red Thai chili, sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) fresh lime juice, divided
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups (480 ml) watercress
- 1 large tomato, cut into wedges
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together oyster sauce, soy sauce, salt, and pepper. Add beef cubes and toss until coated.
- Place beef in the refrigerator to marinate for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a separate mixing bowl, make the sauce by combing fish sauce, palm sugar, ginger, chili and half the lime juice. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic, and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add beef to skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes, shaking occasionally, until edges have browned.
- Add sauce to beef, and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- This timing should serve the beef medium. If you like it rare, reduce cooking time by 1 minute.
- For well-done meat, add 3 minutes to cooking time.
- Remove from heat, and add remaining lime juice.
- Serve meat hot on a bed of watercress, surrounded by tomato wedges and topped with red onion slices.