- 4 cups (960 ml) fish stock
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) olive oil
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tbsp (15 ml) parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tbsp (15 ml) cilantro, chopped + more for garnish
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) tomato paste
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cumin
- 1 cup (240 ml) long grain white rice
- 8 oz. (230 g) shrimp, peeled and deveined (size 26-30)
- 6 oz. (170 g) squid tubes, cut into rings
- 8 oz. (230 g) fresh mussels, cleaned
- 8 oz. (size U12) scallops
- lime wedges, to garnish
- salt and pepper
- In a large Dutch oven, bring fish stock to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Lower heat and simmer.
- In a second pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Stir red peppers, chili peppers, onions, garlic, parsley and cilantro into the hot oil.
- Stir and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until onions are soft and slightly charred.
- Stir in tomato paste and cumin, continue cooking for 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer pan contents into the simmering fish stock.
- Add rice to the fish stock and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in shrimp, squid, mussels, and scallops, continue simmering for 10 minutes, until mussels open, shrimp is pink and rice is tender.
- Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper.
- Serve soup hot, garnished with lime wedges and chopped cilantro.