- 18 (16-20 sized) fresh shrimp, shell-on and deveined
- 1 large leek, chopped
- 1 tsp (15 ml) saffron threads
- 2 cups (480 ml) fish stock
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1/2 lb (225 g) squid tubes and tentacles, cut into rings
- 24 fresh clams, cleaned
- 1 cup (240 ml) Arborio rice
- 24 fresh mussels, cleaned
- 1 lb (450 g) snapper fillets, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 lemon, cut into 4 wedges
- Remove shells from shrimp, and transfer shells to a small saucepan. Reserve shrimp for later use.
- Add leeks, saffron and fish stock to the saucepan and heat over medium heat.
- Simmer for 45 minutes to create a stock and remove from heat.
- Strain stock, discarding solids, and set stock aside for later use.
- In a large deep skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and garlic, cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly, until onions start to soften.
- Stir in tomatoes, squid, and clams, and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the rice to the skillet and stir well.
- Place reserved shrimp, mussels and snapper over the rice.
- Stir reserved stock into the pan and reduce heat to medium.
- Cover skillet and cook for 16-18 minutes, or until rice is tender and absorbs all liquid.
- Remove skillet from heat, serve paella immediately garnished with lemon wedges.