8 to 10 pieces
Ease of preparation
- 3 cups (720 ml) flour
- 1 teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) butter, chilled
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) shortening or lard
- 1 ½ cups (360 ml) water, room temperature, plus more if needed
- Egg wash, 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon (15 ml) water
- 1 pound (454 g) swiss chard, leaves and stems chopped roughly
- 1 pound (454 g) spinach, chopped
- ½ cup (120 ml) finely diced pancetta
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) butter
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 2 ½ cups (600 ml) freshly grated parmesan
- 1 cup (240 ml) ricotta cheese
- 1 cup (240 ml) chopped flat leaf parsley
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground nutmeg
- For the pastry, combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Add butter, olive oil, and water and mix to combine until the dough forms into the shape of a ball. Add more water if needed. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- For the filling, add swiss chard to a big pot of salted boiling water and cook for 1 minute. Add spinach and cook for another minute. Strain greens and squeeze out excess moisture. Chop roughly and set aside.
- Fry pancetta in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crispy. Lower heat to medium and add oil, butter, and garlic, stirring to combine. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes. Add wilted, chopped greens, salt and pepper, and cook until liquid has evaporated. When slightly cooled, add parmesan, ricotta and parsley, stirring to combine thoroughly. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 F (205 C).
- Remove dough from refrigerator and cut into 2 equal portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll both pieces into two large rectangles. Transfer one piece to a parchment paper covered baking sheet. Top with slightly cooled greens, leaving a 1 ½-inch (4 cm) border. Top with second piece of dough and crimp top and bottom pieces of dough together to enclose greens. Using a fork, poke numerous holes along the top of the dough. Brush with egg wash and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool before slicing.