- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 24 (16-20 size) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- ½ cup (120 ml) tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ red onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp (15 ml) lime juice
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) orange juice
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) fresh cilantro, chopped
- 6 warm arepas
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup (240 ml) mozzarella, grated
- In a medium frying pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic to the pan and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add shrimp to the pan and cook for 2 minutes on the first side, until browned.
- Flip and continue cooking for 2 minutes, until browned.
- Stir in red pepper, jalapeños, tomatoes and red onion and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add lime juice and orange juice.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes, or until liquid has reduced completely.
- Stir in cilantro, season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- Slice arepas in half horizontally, and spoon shrimp mixture on the bottom half of the arepa.
- Top the shrimp with mozzarella and allow it to melt for 1 minute before adding the top half of the arepa.
- Serve immediately with arepas (see recipe).