- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 4 large pork breakfast sausages
- 1 leek, sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) butter
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 8 large eggs
- ½ cup (240 ml) milk
- ½ cup (240 ml) 35% cream
- 8 oz. (240 g) blue cheese
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a medium size cast iron pan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add sausages to the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes per side, or until fully cooked.
- Remove sausages from the hot pan, reserving oil in the pan, and slice sausages thinly. Reserve sausages for later use.
- Add leeks and thyme to the hot oil, and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until leeks are soft.
- Remove leeks from pan and reserve.
- Melt butter in same pan, and add sliced bread to the pan to toast on both sides.
- Keeping the bread in the pan, top toasted bread with sliced sausage, sliced tomato and leeks.
- In medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, cream, and a pinch each of salt and pepper.
- Pour egg mixture over the layered Strata into the cast iron pan.
- Crumble blue cheese over the dish.
- Cook Strata over medium heat for 4-5 minutes, or until base is cooked and top is bubbling.
- Transfer the cast iron pan to the oven to cook for 20-25 minutes, or until Strata is golden brown and firm.
- Slice Strata in four and serve hot.