Ease of preparation
Lemon rosemary cakes
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) unsalted butter
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup (240 ml) icing sugar
- ½ cup (120 ml) almond powder
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) instant yeast
- 5 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) flaked sea salt
Roasted berry ice cream
- 1 cup (240 ml) blueberries
- 1 cup (240 ml) blackberries
- 1 cup (240 ml) strawberries
- ½ cup (120 ml) sugar
- 2 cups (480 ml) milk
- 1 cup (240 ml) cream
- ½ cup (120 ml) crème fraiche
- 1 can condensed milk
- Juice and zest from 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) salt
Fresh raspberry puree
- 1 cup (240 ml) raspberries
- ¼ cup (60 ml) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (240 ml) chopped salted almonds, to plate
- Micro basil, to garnish
To make cakes
- Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C).
- Place butter, rosemary, and lemon zest in skillet and heat over medium for 5 minutes or until slightly brown. Remove from heat. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together icing sugar, almond powder, flour, and yeast.
- Whisk egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Fold egg whites into dry ingredients. Remove rosemary sprig from butter, and fold butter into batter. Pour batter into greased and floured cake tins.
- Sprinkle the top of the batter with flaked sea salt. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from heat.
To make ice cream
- Toss berries with sugar. Transfer to baking sheet with parchment.
- Roast in oven at 450 F (230 C) for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, let chill for 10 minutes and transfer to blender.
- Blend for 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, cream, crème fraiche, condensed milk, lemon, and salt.
- Add mixture to berries and blend for 2 minutes. Pass mixture through a fine mesh sieve, and transfer to ice cream machine.
- When ice cream has reached desired consistency, transfer to bowl and chill in freezer until ready to use.
To make puree
- Combine raspberries and sugar and blitz until pureed. Pour through a sieve into a small bowl to remove seeds.
- Break warm cakes in half and place on plates. Add dollops of puree around the cakes. Place small piles of chopped, salted almonds around the cakes. Place scoops of ice cream on top of salted almonds. Garnish with micro basil.