This is a Provençal-inspired recipe that is packed full of great flavors. A great one-pan dinner for busy weeknights.
- 8 pieces assorted bone-in, skin-on chicken legs and thighs
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 12-15 new potatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1 red onion, cut into medium wedges
- 5 sprigs thyme, leaves removed and stems discarded
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 lemon
- 1 (6.5-oz.) jar quartered artichoke hearts in oil
- 4 anchovies (optional)
- 20 black olives, pitted
- crusty bread, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Arrange the chicken, bell pepper, potatoes, onion, thyme, salt and pepper in a wide, shallow roasting pan. Halve the lemon, squeeze the juice over top, and add the squeezed lemon halves to the pan. Pour the oil from the jar of artichokes into the pan. Reserve the artichokes for later. Toss the chicken and vegetables together so that everything is nicely coated in the oil. Transfer to the oven and roast for 30 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and add the artichokes, anchovies (if desired) and black olives. Toss well to combine. Return the pan to the oven and roast for another 15-20 minutes, until the chicken skin is crisp and golden brown. If you find that the chicken skin is not crisping, broil on high for a few minutes to finish.
- Serve family-style with some crusty bread to soak up all of the delicious juices.