Ease of preparation
- 1 ½ (360 ml) cups Arborio rice
- 4 ½ cups (1.6 l) chicken stock, divided
- ¾ cup (180 ml) grated sheep cheese
- 2 eggs, divided
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 cup (240 ml) shrimp
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) tomato paste
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) fresh cooked crabmeat
- ½ cup (120 ml) white wine
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) chopped fresh parsley
- ½ cup (120 ml) flour
- ½ cup (120 ml) breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Toast rice in a dry pan. Add 2 cups (480 ml) chicken stock and stir. Once the rice has fully absorbed the liquid, slowly add the remaining stock, stirring, until the rice is fully cooked and sticky. Let cool.
- Stir in the cheese and 1 egg. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a pan. Add the garlic and shallots and cook until fragrant. Add the wine and cook until almost evaporated. Add the shrimp and cook until pink. Add tomato paste and stir in. Add crabmeat and stir in. Remove from heat and stir in parsley.
- Put 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of rice in the palm of your hand and press a well in the centre. Put 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of the shrimp mixture in the well and close the rice around it. Repeat until all the rice and filling have been used.
- Heat oil in a deep-sided pot until it reaches 350 F (175 C).
- Put the flour in a shallow bowl. Beat the remaining egg in a second bowl. Add breadcrumbs to a third bowl. Dip each ball first in flour, then in egg, then dredge in breadcrumbs.
- Fry in the oil in batches until golden and crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel-lined plate.