- ¼ cup (60 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp (5 ml) dried oregano
- 1 tsp (5 ml) dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium eggplant, diced into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced into half rounds
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 27-oz. can (796 ml) diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- handful of basil leaves, chiffonaded, to garnish
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, dried oregano, dried basil and bay leaf. Cook, stirring periodically, until onions are soft and herbs are fragrant. Add eggplant and zucchini and cook for 3-4 minutes or until slightly soft. Add red bell pepper and cook for 2-3 more minutes. Add diced tomatoes with liquid, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper and stir to combine. Reduce heat to medium. Continue cooking for about 10 minutes or until all vegetables are tender and the liquid has reduced.
- Remove from heat. Scatter chiffonaded basil on top to garnish. Serve with herb and butter couscous and whole broiled trout.
Pair your ratatouille with this grilled flank steak for the perfect dinner party feast.