- 1 leek
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) olive oil
- salt, to taste
- 1 tsp (5 ml) black peppercorns
- 1 tsp (5 ml) coriander seeds
- 3 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 lbs field tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 8 ( 2 L) cups of water
- 1 lb (450 g) dried-out, sturdy rustic loaf of bread (about 1/2 loaf)
- 1 lb (450 g) raw black cod, cut into 2-inch (5 cm) cubes
- 4 oz. (110 g) chorizo, roughly sliced (optional)
- handful of chopped fresh cilantro
- Chop leeks and onion add to a pot with oil. Add a dash of salt.
- Crush peppercorn, coriander seeds, and garlic with mortar and pestle (or in a coffee grinder).
- Push the leeks to one side of the pan and add spices to the cleared space. Toast the spices for 30 seconds then mix in with the leeks.
- Add tomatoes to the pot and season with salt. Pour in water and let it cook down for 30 minutes.
- Take pot off heat and pulse tomatoes with an immersion blender. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Slice bread into cubes and toss in pot.
- Add raw cod pieces and put pot back on heat to cook cod. Toss in sliced chorizo. Simmer soup for about 8 minutes, enough time for the cod to cook.
- Chop fresh cilantro and stir into pot.
- Ladle soup into bowl and drizzle oil over top as desired.