1 lb (454 g)
- 1 cup (250 ml) sugar
- 1 cup (250 ml) corn syrup
- 3 (45 ml) tbsp of water
- seeds from one vanilla bean or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) butter, plus butter for tray
- 1 tsp (5 ml) kosher salt
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) baking soda
- 1 cup (250 ml) shelled pistachios
- pinch of Fleur de sel or sea salt to finish
- Line a rimmed baking sheet (11x7x2 inch) (28x17x5 cm) with foil and butter lightly.
- In a medium sized saucepan with high sides add the sugar and corn syrup to 3 tablespoons of water. Stir over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Add vanilla bean seeds or vanilla extract.
- While cooking place 1 cup (250 ml) of water in a container and using a pastry brush; brush down the sides of the pan with water to prevent crystallization.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, and cook until a thermometer registers 295F (146C). About 15 minutes.
- Add the butter and pistachios and kosher salt. Cook until temperature reaches 300F (148C). Caramel should be golden brown.
- Sprinkle with baking soda and stir to combine. The mixture will bubble slightly.
- Using a spatula; immediately spread the caramel onto the prepared baking tray. Spread evenly and thin about ¼ inch (.31 cm) thickness. Sprinkle with salt and allow to set 1 hour.
- Break into desired pieces.