Ease of preparation
- <1 ½ pounds (680 grams) stewing beef, cubed
- ½ (2.5 ml) teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) whole peppercorns, crushed
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) flour
- 3 cups (720 ml) dry red wine
- Preheat oven to 325 F (160 C).
- Season beef with salt and roll in crushed peppercorns.
- In a large earthenware pot, add olive oil and heat. Add beef cubes and brown. Add garlic cloves and cook 1 minute. Add flour, stir in, and cook 1 minute. Pour over red wine and stir in. Cover and cook 2 ½ hours, or until meat is tender and sauce has thickened.