Ease of preparation
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 5 ounces (142 g) unsmoked pancetta, minced (or substitute with bacon)
- 1 large carrot, peeled, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) butter
- 2 celery stalks, finely diced
- 1 medium onion, peeled, finely diced
- 1 pound (454 g) high quality minced beef (flank is a good choice)
- 1 cup (240 ml) red wine
- ¼ cup (60 ml) tomato paste
- 1 cup (240 ml) tomato puree
- ¾ cup (180 ml) milk, plus more if required
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound (454 g) cooked, fresh tagliatelle
- Parmesan cheese, grated, for topping
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium. Add minced pancetta and fry until crisp. Add carrot, celery, and onion and cook until softened (about ten minutes).
- Add minced beef and turn temperature to medium-high. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until browned, stirring periodically.
- Add wine and scrape the bottom of the pan to deglaze. Add tomato paste, tomato puree, and milk and stir to combine thoroughly. Cover and cook over low heat for 2 hours, stirring periodically. Add a splash of milk periodically if more moisture is required.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Toss sauce with freshly cooked tagliatelle. Top with freshly grated parmesan cheese.