Ease of preparation
- 1 cup (240 ml) raisins
- 1 cup (240 ml) boiling water
- 2 ¼ teaspoons (11 ml) yeast
- ¼ cup (60 ml) warm water
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) butter, divided
- 1 cup (240 ml) milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) sugar
- 4 cups (960 ml) bread flour
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (240 ml) ground almonds
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) flour
- ½ cup (120 ml) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) almond extract
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) vanilla extract
Buttery icing glaze
- ½ cup (120 ml) butter, melted
- 1 cup (240 ml) icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) milk
- Add the raisins to a bowl. Pour the boiling water over top. Let the raisins sit to rehydrate.
- To the bowl of a stand mixer, add yeast and warm water and shake the bowl a little to agitate. Let sit 10 minutes until mixture is bubbly.
- In a saucepan, melt 1/3 cup (80 ml) butter with the milk. Remove from heat and let cool. Pour into bowl with yeast mixture and mix. Add eggs and whisk in. Add 1/3 cup (80 ml) sugar and mix in. Slowly add bread flour with the dough hook running. Stop adding flour when dough is tacky. Cover and let rise 1 hour, or until doubled.
To make almond cream
- Add butter, ground almonds, flour, sugar, eggs, almond extract, and vanilla extract a bowl. Mix until smooth.
To make buttery icing glaze
- Add melted butter to a bowl. Add icing sugar and milk a bit at a time, stirring, until it reaches a drizzle consistency.
- Drain raisins.
- Roll out dough into a large rectangle. Spread the almond cream on top. Sprinkle the raisins on top of the almond cream. Roll rectangle tightly along longest side to form a filled log. Cut into slices. Place on a baking tray. Let rise, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- Melt remaining butter. Brush on pastries. Bake at 375 F (190 C) for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove pastries from the oven. Drizzle with icing glaze while they’re still warm.