Ease of preparation
- 2 cups (480 ml) flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) salt
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) sugar
- 1 cup (240 ml) cold butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) shortening
- 3-5 tablespoons (45-75 ml) cold water
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1 egg, for egg wash
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) water, for egg wash
- ¼ cup (60 ml) sugar, for sprinkling
Peach Melba filling
- 5-6 large ripe peaches
- 1 ½ cups (360 ml) ripe raspberries
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) lemon zest
- ¼ cup (60 ml) flour
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) sugar
- ¼ cup (60 ml) brown sugar
- ¾ teaspoon (4 ml) ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) butter, divided
Let’s get baking!
- To make the crust, add flour, salt and sugar to a large bowl and whisk to combine. Add butter and shortening. Toss ingredients and briskly rub with your hands until clumps form. Drizzle in 3 tablespoons (45 ml) of cold water, then add the apple cider vinegar. Fold and press dough until you can form it into a ball, adding more water if needed.
- Break ball in half and shape into 2 disks. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Peach Melba filling
- To make the Peach Melba filling, peel and pit peaches. Dice peach flesh and add to a bowl. Mash raspberries and add to peaches and stir to combine. Add lemon zest, flour, sugar, brown sugar, ground cardamom, and salt and stir to combine. Set aside.
- To combine, unwrap disks of dough and place on a lightly floured surfaced. Flour a rolling pin and roll out one disk. Use the mouth of a small preserving jar to cut out four rounds of dough (these will be the pie tops).
- Roll out second disk of dough and cut out 4 larger circles (these will be the base layers of the pies). Press the larger dough circles into each jar to create the crust. Use scraps to fill in any gaps. Trim off any excess crust.
- Divide filling between 4 jars. Dot each jar with a ½ tablespoon (7.5 ml) of butter. Place a pie top on each jar and pinch or crimp the edges together using a fork or your fingers. Using a sharp paring knife, slice a small “x” in the middle of each crust.
- Whisk the egg together with the water to form an egg wash. Using a pastry brush, apply egg wash to each pie. Sprinkle each pie with sugar. Bake at 350 F (175 C) for 20 minutes or until filling is bubbling and crust is golden brown.
- Serve warm or cooled.