8 (2 mini sandwiches each)
- 2 catfish fillets, cut into quarters
- 16 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 tbsp cajun seasoning, divided
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper sauce
- 16 mini soft dinner rolls (or 4-inch French rolls cut in half), split and hinged horizontally
- 2 tbsp butter, room temperature
- shredded iceberg lettuce
- sliced tomato
- remoulade or mayonnaise
- lemon wedges
- Fill a deep heavy bottomed pot with 2 to 3 inches of vegetable oil and place over medium heat until the oil reaches 360-365F.
- Meanwhile, lay your catfish and shrimp out in a layer and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the Cajun seasoning. Combine the rest of the Cajun seasoning with the flour, cornmeal and salt in a shallow dish. In another shallow dish, combine the buttermilk with the cayenne pepper sauce. Working in batches, dredge the seafood in the dry followed by the wet then the dry again and fry until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer everything to a paper towel-lined baking sheet to drain and cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, butter the buns and grill in a frying pan over medium heat until golden brown. Build your po boys by slathering on some mayo or remoulade, top with lettuce, a slice of tomato and your either your fried catfish or shrimp. Squeeze some lemon on top and enjoy!