- 12 large sea scallops, cleaned and patted dry
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) canola oil
- 2 tbsp (28 g) cold butter
- thyme leaf
- lemon wedge
- ¼ cup (60 ml) pistachios
Lemon White Bean Purée
- ¾ cup (70 g) melted butter, plus ¼ cup (60 g) reserved for crumb
- 2 cups (500 ml) canned white beans, well rinsed
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) grated Parmesan
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- grated zest of 2 lemons
- juice of 1 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup (60 g) melted butter (see above)
- 1½ oz. (45 g) fresh white breadcrumbs (about 2 slices bread, crusts removed)
- 1 lemon, zested
- salt to taste
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) chopped parsley
- Melt butter for the white bean puree in a saucepan. Add half of the butter to a blender with white beans, grated Parmesan, olive oil, lemon zest, and lemon juice, and blitz until smooth, if the mix is too thick you can add a little water until desired consistency. Place in saucepan and keep warm over low heat.
- Pat scallops dry and season with salt. Add canola oil to a skillet at medium-high heat. Sear scallops salt-side down. After about 1 minute, flip scallops, and add cold butter, thyme leaf, and a lemon wedge. Take off heat. Spoon some of pan juice over the scallops.
- Pour remaining melted butter into a skillet. Toss in breadcrumbs. Sprinkle in salt and zest in lemon. When breadcrumbs are crispy about 1 minute add fresh parsley and toss.
- Plate scallops on purée and top with lemon crumb. Drizzle a little of scallop pan juices. Add pistachios for garnish.