- 4 baby eggplants, halved lengthwise and seeded
- tbsp (45 ml) olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sweet paprika
- 1 lb. (450 g) ground lamb
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh sage
- ½ cup (120 ml) white wine
- 1 cup (240 ml) canned chopped tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup (240 ml) beef stock
- salt and pepper
- ½ cup (120 ml) roughly chopped pistachios
- ½ cup (120 ml) panko breadcrumbs
- Sprinkle flesh of eggplants with salt and set aside for 15-20 minutes.
- Once eggplant has released its juices, remove excess salt with paper towel. Reserve.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, garlic and sweet paprika, and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until onions are soft.
- Add lamb and sage, and cook for 6-8 minutes, or until lamb has browned nicely.
- Deglaze pan with white wine and stir.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, and add tomatoes and beef stock.
- Bring to a simmer, and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until stock has reduced by half.
- Once sauce has thickened, add pistachios and season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Scoop equal amounts of stuffing into each half eggplant.
- Top with panko breadcrumbs and place on a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Place tray in oven and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until breadcrumbs are golden and eggplant is soft.
- Remove from oven and serve hot.