Ease of preparation
- ¼ cup (60 ml) palm oil
- 6 lamb shanks
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) minced fresh ginger
- 1 red Thai chili pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) minced fresh turmeric
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) saffron
- ¼ cup (60 ml) spice blend for rogan josh (see below)
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) chickpea flour
- 1 x 28-ounce can (796ml) diced tomatoes, strained of juices
- 6 cups (1.4 l) chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 ½ cups (360 ml) arborio rice
- ½ cup (120 ml) white wine
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) ghee
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) grated Parmesan
- ¼ cup (60 ml) chopped fresh chives
- ½ cup (120 ml) crumbled paneer
- ¼ cup (60 ml) chopped cilantro
Spice blend for rogan josh
- 2 tablespoons (3o ml) coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) fenugreek seeds
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) mustard seeds
- 2 small cinnamon sticks
- 10 cardamom pods
- 6 Kashmiri chilies
- 1 ½ tablespoons (25 ml) black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) whole cloves
- ¼ cup (60 ml) dried curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) ground turmeric
To make the spice blend
- In a pan over medium heat, toast coriander, cumin, fenugreek, mustard seeds, cinnamon sticks, cardamom pods, Kashmiri chilies, peppercorns, and cloves until fragrant.
- Remove from heat. Add curry leaves.
- Run mixture through a spice grinder. Once you have a fine spice blend, stir in nutmeg, cayenne, and turmeric. Set aside.
To make the lamb rogan josh
- Preheat oven to 300F (150 C) degrees. Heat palm oil in a large Dutch oven or pot with high sides over medium high.
- Season lamb with salt, then add to the pot. Sear on all sides for 2-3 minutes each, or until nicely browned. Remove lamb to a plate. Set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add onions, garlic, and ginger. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chili pepper, turmeric, and saffron. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add ¼ cup (60 ml) spice blend and stir in. Add chickpea flour and stir. Stir in diced tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes. Add chicken stock and bay leaves, stir, and bring to a simmer.
- Add lamb shanks back to Dutch oven. Cover. Put in oven. Cook for 3 hours, or until tender. Remove lamb from broth and tent with foil. Keep broth warm on the stove over medium-low heat.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add rice and toast for 2 minutes. Deglaze with white wine, then reduce by half.
- Add 2 ladles of stock. Stir and cook until the stock has been absorbed by the rice. Continue adding 1 ladle at a time, until rice grains are tender but with a little bite. Remove from heat.
- Stir in ghee, Parmesan, and chives. Season with salt and pepper.
Plate risotto. Garnish with paneer and cilantro. Place lamb shank over risotto, then add a small ladle of remaining stock.