- 3 lbs (1.4 kg) Korean short ribs (flanken short ribs)
- ¼ cup (60 ml) peanut oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- oil, for grill
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) soy sauce
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) rice vinegar
- 2 green onions, minced
- 2 tsp (10 ml) minced garlic
- 2 tsp (10 ml) sesame oil
- 2 tsp (10 ml) grated fresh ginger
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) hot sauce
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) Chinese 5-spice
- salt and ground black pepper
- In a bowl combine soy sauce, brown sugar, rice vinegar, green onion, garlic, sesame oil, ginger, hot sauce, Chinese 5-spice, salt and ground black pepper.
- Add ribs and marinade to a resealable plastic bag.
- Turn to coat ribs evenly and then into the refrigerator overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator and place on baking sheet. Discard the marinade.
- Pat and dry the ribs and then coat with peanut oil, season with salt and ground black pepper.
- Prepare the barbecue for direct grilling. Preheat the grill to medium high heat. Brush grill with oil and add the ribs.
- Cook for a minute per side to get a char.
- Turn the heat down to medium to cook through.
- Remove from grill allow to rest 10 minutes covered in foil.
- Remove ribs from foil and garnish with cilantro.
Note: Cooking times and temperatures will vary depending on the size and type of your barbeque.