Marinade for Kumquats
- 1 cup (250 ml) kumquats, washed
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) red wine vinegar
- drizzle of olive oil
- pinch of sugar-optional if kumquats are overly tart
Kale and Bacon Sauté
- ½ lb (227 g) thick bacon cut into 1 inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- ½ cup (125 ml) small dice red onion
- 2 tsp (10 ml) minced garlic
- 4 cups (1 liter) Kale (dinosaur) tough ribs removed
- ½ of kumquats in marinade
- ¼ cup (60 ml) crumbled goat cheese
- ½ cup (125 ml) grated provolone cheese
- pepper to taste
- 200 g (7 oz.) Greek yogurt
- 250 g (8.5 oz.) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter for frying
- To marinade kumquats; slice the kumquats thin and place in a bowl. To the bowl add the lemon juice, red wine vinegar and a drizzle of olive oil. Let sit covered for 15 minutes. Taste and if necessary add a pinch of sugar to round out the tartness.
- In a large sauté pan set over medium heat add the bacon. Cook until almost crisp and golden. Drain all but 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of bacon fat.
- Add the red onion, garlic and sauté until translucent and fragrant about 1 minute. Add the kale and sauté until wilted about 1 minute.
- Add ½ of the marinated kumquats and a splash of the marinade liquid. Reserve the extra marinated kumquats for garnish. Mix thoroughly and remove the mixture from heat, let cool.
- Once cool add the goat and provolone cheese and season with pepper to taste.
- To make the dough sift the flour with the baking soda and add a pinch of salt.
- Stir in the yogurt and mix until combined. Place dough on a lightly floured surface and knead the dough for 5 minutes.
- Divide dough into 6 equal portions. Roll out each portion into a 6 inch (15.2 cm) round about 1/8 inch (.31 cm) thickness.
- Pour ¼ cup (60 ml) of water into a small bowl.
- Place the now cooled filling on half of the round leaving ½ inch (1.2 cm) border. Dip a pastry brush (or use your finger) in water and run it along the border.
- Fold over the remaining side to make a half moon. Using your fingers seal the 2 sides together.
- Use the tines of a fork to crimp the rounded sides of the package.
- Repeat with remaining filling and dough.
- Place a large non-stick skillet over medium low heat. Add the butter just to melt.
- Add 2 -3 pastries to the pan and allow to cook until golden brown on one side. Flip and repeat.
- Remove and serve hot.