4 as an appetizer
- 24 chicken wings (cut into wing and drumette pieces)
- 2 cups (500 ml) flour
- 2 tsp (10 ml) salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground pepper
- 2 tsp (10 ml) smoked paprika
- 2 tsp (10 ml) garlic powder
- vegetable oil for frying
- ½ lb (227 g) medium sliced bacon
- 1 cup (250 ml) buckwheat honey
- ¼ cup (60 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 habanero peppers (finely minced)
- optional garnish thin sliced green onion
- Preheat oil to 350F (176C).
- Rinse and pat dry chicken.
- In a medium bowl mix together flour, salt, black pepper, garlic powder and smoked paprika.
- Toss about 6 wings at a time into the flour mixture and coat lightly. Repeat with remaining wings.
- Place wings into the hot oil being careful not to over crowd and fry until crispy and golden brown about 10 minutes.
- Remove using a spider or slotted spoon and place onto a paper towel-lined tray.
- Repeat with remaining wings.
- Preheat oven to 350F (176C).
- Place protective gloves on and remove seeds and veins from the habanero pepper.
- Fine dice and place in a bowl.
- Cook bacon in a large pan set over medium heat. Cook bacon until golden and crispy. Remove from pan and place on a paper towel-lined tray to drain.
- In a bowl combine the honey, apple cider vinegar and the chopped chili.
- Toss the wings in the honey mixture to evenly coat
- Place on foil lined tray and place in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until crispy and golden.
- Remove from oven and immediately crumble with bacon while still hot so the bacon sticks to the wing.
- Garnish with slices of green onion if desired.