- 2 lbs (900 g) beef flank
- 1 ½ cups (360 ml) tomato sauce
- 1 cup (240 ml) mozzarella, grated
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) dried oregano
- 1 tsp (5 ml) dried thyme
- 2 tsp (10 ml) dried chili flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- drizzle of olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Butterfly the steak by slicing through it lengthwise until you reach 1 cm from the other side, then opening it like a book.
- Put the meat between two sheets of plastic wrap and gently pound it with a meat mallet or rolling pin until it is thin and flat.
- Season with salt and pepper, and drizzle with olive oil.
- Heat grill over high heat.
- Once the grill is hot, place the steak on the grill.
- Sear for 4-5 minutes, then flip.
- Once flipped, cover the grilled side with tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle garlic over the sauce, then add cheese evenly over the whole steak.
- Add oregano, chili flakes and thyme, and cover the garnished steak with an upside down baking tray.
- Continue cooking until the meat is done to your liking, and the cheese is melted.
- Remove from grill, and let rest for 2-3 minutes.
- Slice into even portions and serve hot.