- 2 1-inch slices aged provolone
- 2 tsp (30 ml) fresh oregano, finely chopped
- pinch red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- crusty artisan bread, focaccia or ciabatta
- Heat a large cast-iron pan over medium-high heat.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine olive oil, red pepper flakes, oregano and salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle salt in the bottom of the hot pan and place the cheese on top. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Once you see a golden crust forming at the base of the cheese, flip using a spatula or a pair of tongues.
- Once flipped, drizzle marinade over the golden crust of the cheese.
- Cook once more for 2-3 minutes, and remove cheese from the pan.
- Meanwhile, toast as many slices of bread as needed.
- Serve cheese warm alongside bread.