- 1 small white onion, grated
- 2 tbsp (30ml) fresh oregano, chopped
- 3 tbsp (45ml) olive oil
- 1 tsp (5ml) ground cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- juice of 2 limes
- 2 lbs (32 oz.) beef flank steak, trimmed
- 2 green peppers
- 2 red peppers
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) canola oil
- 12 corn tortillas, warmed
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) queso fresco
- 1 cup (240 ml) tomato salsa
- 1 cup (240 ml) green tomatillo salsa
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 450F (230C).
- In medium glass bowl, stir together onion, oregano, olive oil, cumin, garlic, lime juice, and 1/8 tsp each of salt and pepper.
- Add flank steak to the bowl and massage marinade into the steak.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- While steak marinates, place whole red and green peppers on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Roast peppers in the oven for 12-15 minutes, or until charred.
- Set peppers aside to cool to room temperature.
- Once cooled, peel, core, and seed the peppers.
- Slice peppers thinly and reserve for plating.
- To cook the steak, heat canola oil in a grill pan or large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Remove steak from marinade and place in hot oil.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes, flip, and continue cooking for 4-5 minutes, or until steak starts to release its juices.
- Remove steak from heat and let rest for 3-4 minutes.
- Slice steak thinly across the grain and serve warm with tortillas, roasted peppers, queso fresco tomato salsa and tomatillo salsa.