- 3 tbsp (45 ml) butter
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) onion powder
- 2 cups (480 ml) beef stock
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a large, heavy saucepan on medium heat. (Bonus if the saucepan is already coated with freshly-cooked beef drippings). Add butter. Swirl until melted.
- Sprinkle flour and onion powder in pan. Whisk occasionally for 1-2 minutes to brown the flour. Continue whisking as you pour in beef stock and Worcestershire sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer. Cook for 3-5 minutes, whisking occasionally until desired thickness is achieved. Taste test and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Drizzle over roasted sirloin tip (see recipe).