- 1 ½ cups (360 ml) sushi rice
- 3 cups (720 ml) chicken stock
- 1 garlic bulb, whole
- 12 oz (360 g) haddock fillets
- salt and pepper, to taste
- zest of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup (60 ml) Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup (240 ml) all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups (480 ml) panko or dry bread crumbs
- canola oil, for frying
- Preheat oven to 325F (165C).
- Cook sushi rice with chicken stock according to package recipes, and cool in the refrigerator.
- While that is happening, wrap garlic bulb in aluminum foil and cook in oven for 1 hour.
- Place haddock fillets on baking sheet with parchment paper and add to oven for the last 10 minutes of garlic cooking time.
- In a large bowl, combine cold sushi rice, flaked haddock, parmesan cheese, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Add in roasted garlic. To separate roasted garlic cloves from peel, gently squeeze with the tip of your fingers until garlic comes out.
- Mix all the ingredients together and form 1-2-inch balls.
- Let the balls rest in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes.
- Set up a breading station: 1 bowl with flour, 1 bowl with 4 whisked eggs and 1 bowl with panko or bread crumbs.
- Roll each ball in flour, then eggs and then panko or bread crumbs, ensuring that they are fully coated.
- Heat frying oil to 350F – 375F (180C – 190C) degrees, and fry rice balls for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from oil and place on a paper towel to drain excess liquid.
- Season with salt, and serve hot.
- Serve with garlic scape puree (see recipe).