10 funnel cakes
Ease of preparation
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying (3- to 4-inch depth of oil)
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups (480 ml) milk
- ½ cup (120 ml) water
- ¼ cup (60 ml) sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla
- 3 ½ cups (840 ml) flour
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons (7.5 ml) salt
- 1 cup (240 ml) chopped strawberries
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) lemon juice
- Icing sugar, for serving
- Whipped cream, for serving
- Fresh strawberries, for serving
- Metal funnel
To make funnel cakes
- Heat oil in a heavy, deep pan or pot to 375 F (190 C).
- Whisk eggs with milk, water, sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk flour together with baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add flour mixture to egg mixture, whisking until smooth.
- Once oil has reached 375 F (190 C), hold a metal funnel with one hand, using your fingertip to cover the tip of the funnel.
- With your other hand, ladle some batter into the funnel. Hold the funnel about 4 to 5 inches above the pot of oil.
- Remove your finger from the tip and move the funnel in a spiral motion, allowing the batter to fall into the oil – be careful not to spatter hot oil on your hand.
- Fry the cake, turning once, until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove the cake from the oil and place on a paper towel-lined plate, dabbing the top with paper towel, if needed.
- Repeat process with remaining batter.
To make strawberry sauce
- Add chopped strawberries to a blender with sugar and lemon juice and blend until smooth.
- Serve funnel cakes dusted with icing sugar and topped with whipped cream, strawberry sauce, and fresh strawberries.