A tribute to the king, the one and only Elvis Presley.
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1½ cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2½ cups All-Purpose flour
- 2½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ¼ cups buttermilk
- 2 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter*
- ½ cup cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups icing sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp – ¼ cup whipping cream
- ¾ cup prepared grape jelly
- 6 slices of bacon, cooked crisp and finely chopped
- For the cupcakes, preheat your oven to 350F and line two 12-cup muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- Using a hand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy then add the eggs one at time, mixing well after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and stir to combine. This is the dry mixture for your cupcakes.
- In a glass measuring cup, measure out the buttermilk and stir in the vanilla.
- Add approximately one-third of the dry ingredients to the creamed butter mixture and beat together with the hand mixer until almost combined. Blend in half of the buttermilk mixture, followed by another third of the dry, the buttermilk, then the rest of the dry, mixing after each addition.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, filling each cup about two-thirds full, and bake for 17-20 minutes or until golden and set.
- Set the cupcakes aside to cool and prepare the frosting.
- For the frosting, beat the butter, peanut butter, cream cheese and vanilla together in a large bowl with a hand mixer. Slowly add the icing sugar and salt, being careful not to mix too fast or else you’ll have quite a mess on your hands.
- Finally, beat between 2 tablespoons and ¼ cup of cream into the frosting to make it light and fluffy.
- To decorate, use a teaspoon to scoop a little well out of the centre of each cupcake. Fill that with about 1½ teaspoons of grape jelly and cover the top of each cupcake with a good helping of the peanut butter frosting. To finish the cupcakes, sprinkle the chopped bacon over the top and dig in to probably one of the most weirdly delicious desserts you’ve ever had!
Note: Be sure to use traditional peanut butter as the all-natural variety will make for a thin frosting.