- 2 cups (480 ml) milk
- ¼ cup (60 ml) sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) dark rum
- Seeds from ½ a vanilla pod
- 1 cup (240 ml) Dulce de Leche
- 1 cup (240 ml) heavy cream
- Heat a pot with the milk and vanilla seeds over medium heat.
- Add half of the sugar, and bring to a boil.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks with the remaining sugar until frothy.
- Slowly incorporate the egg mixture into the warm milk and stir together.
- Simmer until the mixture coats the back of a spoon.
- Add the Dulce de Leche, heavy cream and rum.
- Simmer for 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, and pour into a bowl.
- Place bowl over a larger bowl filled with ice cubes and a little bit of water.
- Occasionally stir the mixture to help it cool faster.
- Once cooled, pour the mixture in an ice cream machine to freeze.
- Once slightly solidified, transfer to a plastic bowl and place in freezer for 12 hours for the ice cream to set completely.
- Scoop and serve.