Ease of preparation
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) active dry yeast
- ¼ cup (60 ml) sugar, divided
- 1 cup (240 ml) milk, warmed
- 4 egg yolks
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla
- 3 ¼ cups (750ml) flour
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying
Lime curd filling
- ¾ cup (180 ml) lime juice
- ¾ cup (180 ml) sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) lime zest
- 4 egg yolks
- ¼ cup (60 ml) butter, cubed
Dark chocolate glaze
- 6 oz (170 g) dark chocolate
Let’s get baking!
- To make the donuts, add yeast and 1 tablespoon (15 ml) sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer. Pour in warm milk and stir to dissolve. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Add egg yolks, remaining sugar, salt, butter, and vanilla and mix together on low speed. Continue mixing and gradually pour in the flour. If needed, add more flour until the dough comes together. Cover and let rise 1 hour or until doubled.
- Punch to release the air. Turn dough onto a lightly-floured counter. Roll out to ¾-inch (2 cm) thickness. Cut out 3-inch (7.5 cm) rounds. Place onto a baking sheet. Let rise 1-2 hours.
- To make the filling, add lime juice and sugar to a saucepan over medium heat. Stir and cook until sugar has dissolved and juice has started to reduce. Remove from heat. Mix in lime zest. In a separate bowl, whisk together egg yolks. Add the lime juice mixture into the egg yolks a spoonful at a time, whisking to make sure the eggs come up to temperature gradually. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until it reaches the consistency of pudding. Remove from heat and strain through a sieve into a bowl. Stir in butter a cube at a time until smooth and uniform. Set aside to cool.
- To cook the donuts, add oil to a deep-sided pot. Heat oil to 350 F (175 C). Add donuts 3 at a time – do not overcrowd the pot. Fry for 5 minutes, turning every minute. Remove to paper towel-lined plate. Let cool.
- To combine, fill a piping bag with the lime curd. Push the tip of the piping bag into the side of the donut to make a hole, then squeeze in filling.
- Melt chocolate in a bain marie. Dip the top of the donut in the melted chocolate. Turn back to be right-side-up and place on a tray. Let chocolate dry.