Reminiscent of deli-style salads we’ve all ordered at one time or another, this easy and delicious recipe works overtime, providing you with an effortless dinner and even-tastier leftovers the next day. Like most pasta salads, this one tastes best once chilled for 24 hours, and because of it’s large yield, can be enjoyed for lunch throughout the week.
- 350 g tri-colored tortellini
- 1 cup baby tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup frozen peas, blanched
- 1 cup cucumber, cubed
- 1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup pickled banana peppers, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup goat cheese
- 1 lemon zest and juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- basil leaves, for garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook tortellini according to package instructions. Transfer tortellini from water with a slotted spoon into a colander, then flash under cold water to cool them down. Set inside a large serving bowl.
- Using the same pasta water, blanch the frozen peas for 1-2 minutes, just until cooked. Drain and flash under cold water to stop cooking. Transfer peas to the serving bowl with the pasta.
- Add baby tomatoes, peas, cucumber, red onion, red bell pepper, banana peppers, parsley, goat cheese and lemon zest.
- In a small jar, combine lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Seal jar with a lid, then shake vigorously to emulsify. Add to salad, toss everything together until well incorporated.
- Taste for seasoning, and add more salt if needed. Chill for 1-2 hours (or overnight), or serve immediately. Garnish with basil to serve.
Recipe Notes: This salad packs great for lunches. Enjoy it cold, or at room temperature.