Makes 18 – 20
- 125 g (4½ oz) butter
- 75 g (3 oz) brown sugar
- 75 g (3 oz) golden syrup
- 1 egg, beaten
- 150 g (5 oz) plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 3 tsp ground ginger
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1½ tsp mixed spice
- 50 g (2 oz) caster or granulated sugar
- Beat the butter, then add in the brown sugar, the golden syrup and then the egg. Use a whisk for a few seconds to bring the mixture together. Take out the whisk, then sift in the remaining ingredients, but not the sugar.
- The mixture can be used straight away or it can placed in the fridge for 1 week.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F), Gas mark 4. Line the baking trays with baking parchment.
- Place the sugar in a bowl. Take dessertspoonfuls of the cookie dough and roll into balls, toss in the sugar, flatten and place spaced apart on the lined tray.
- Bake for 12–15 minutes until just set, but still slightly soft in the centre. Take out of the oven and let sit for 4 minutes before removing to a wire rack.