- 1.5 kg (3.3 lbs) Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup (240 ml) chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 small dried red chilies, chopped
- 1 cup (240 ml) tomato sauce
- 1 tsp (5 ml) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) smoked paprika
- 1 tsp (5 ml) sweet paprika
- 1 tsp (5 ml) coarse salt
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- pinch of dried oregano
- pinch of dried thyme
- frying oil
- salt and pepper
- To remove some of the starch from the potatoes, soak potatoes in cold water for 15 minutes. While the potatoes soak, heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and garlic, cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring often, until onions start to soften.
- Stir in chicken stock, bay leaves and dried chillies.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, oregano, thyme, sugar, smoked paprika, sweet paprika, and a pinch each of salt and pepper.
- Bring sauce to a simmer and cook for 8-10 minutes.
- To cook the potatoes, bring frying oil to 375F (190C) in a deep pot.
- Drain potatoes and pat dry.
- Transfer potatoes to the hot oil and fry for 8-10 minutes, or until crispy and golden on the outside, but still tender on the inside.
- Remove potatoes from oil and place on a paper towel to drain.
- Season potatoes with coarse salt and top with warm sauce and chopped parsley.