Ease of preparation
- 4 x 5 ounce (142 g) trout fillets, skin on
- ½ cup (120 ml) milk
- Oil, for frying
- ½ cup (120 ml) cornmeal
- ½ cup (120 ml) flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) salt
- ¼ teaspoon (1 ml) pepper
- For the coating, mix together cornmeal, flour, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- Dip fillets in milk. Press both sides of the fillets in coating mixture. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place trout skin side down in hot oil. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook for 2-3 minutes. Once fish is crispy and firm, remove from oil. Let rest for 2 minutes before serving.
- Serve with apricot berry chutney (see recipe).