- 1 lb (450 g) albacore tuna loin
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) instant espresso powder
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) pink peppercorns, finely crushed
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) black peppercorns, finely crushed
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) canola oil
- salt, to taste
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- In a mortar and pestle, crush black and pink peppercorns until fine.
- Add espresso powder to peppercorns.
- Season tuna loin with salt, and press the coffee mix into the flesh of the tuna loin on all sides.
- Once oil is very hot, sear the tuna on all sides for 1 minute or until outside has started to blacken.
- Once the 3 sides are nicely seared, remove from heat and let cool in refrigerator.
- Serve chilled and thinly sliced.
- Serve with vegetable ribbon salad with a coffee vinaigrette.